Latest message you have seen: Re: Comfort Design Question

Re: [OT] DVDR question

> 1. Does a self recorded DVD get a region code assigned to it, in which
case
> it would be Region 2 as that is what the playback region is, or will
it be
> region free ?
It is on the cheap DVD recorders, but I've no experience of the more
expensive models. It may just be easier to rip your own DVD with
DVD-Shrink and remove the RE on the way.

> 2. Assuming that it is region free, I know it will be PAL encoded so
has
> almost zero chance of being playable in the States but will it be
possible
> for someone to put it in a PC and play it back ?
Absolutely. Though if it is region encoded they will need a little
something to get around the region encoding on their PC. There are
several bits of software which sit in the background to do this.

> I have just tried a Region 1 DVD in my laptop and it told me that it
couldnt
> play it becaise the region code was different but it gave me the
option to
> change it which I didnt in case I couldnt change it back again!!!
Generally this is the region protection onboard the DVD drive itself. It
will normally let you change the region five time and then 'stick' at
the last one, at which point it will be too late to do anything about
it. Your best course of action is to go to RPC1.ORG and see if there is
a region free version of the firmware for your drive.

Lee