Re: Ultimate Node0 design?

  • Subject: Re: Ultimate Node0 design?
  • From: "kw1816" <kw1816@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:08:50 -0000

Of the top of my head, the things I wish I'd though about more are:

Heat - How to get rid of all that lovely heat your equipment chucks
out.
Noise - Will all those whirring fans and disks keep you awake at
night.
Access - Do you really want to become a contortionist just to reach
the one plug you never though you'd need to move ?
Cable Management - Keep it neat and tidy through the whole of the
cable run. I did mine in a rush thinking that nobody would ever need
to work around it. Guess what ? Now our extension is going up I need
to think about the cabling again :0

My node 0 is based around a 22U rack set into a built in cupboard.
Looks really good and always impresses visitors but when we moved to
the house we're in now, about a year ago, I had a choice of Node 0
going in the garage or the study. I chose the study thinking it
would be nice to see all those lovely toys and blinking lights.

Now I wish I'd put it out of the way in the garage. Both the heat
and the noise generated have been a problem and I could really do
with the space back. Don't fancy moving all the wiring though so
it's off to plan b,c & d :)

Kevin W.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups@...> wrote:

> As mentioned previously, I'm converting my loft to a large office,
bathroom, kitchenette and new Node0. My architect is just drawing up
and producing some initial sketches. I need some inspiration for the
new walk-in Node0.

> What would you put in there, how would you design it and what nice
kit would you have? E.g. racking with rack mount servers, pull out
keyboards and monitors etc, cable management, work lights etc etc?