RE: Re: Hosting Help Please

  • Subject: RE: Re: Hosting Help Please
  • From: "Alex Monaghan" <ha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:43:37 +0100

I know it's not done to question competition, however a simple bit of
maths
does not add up for the offer on the front page.

Free domain, 24Gb disk space, 800Gb traffic at $4.95/month.

A basic USA Linux server (3GHz CPU, 80-120Gb disk, 1-2Tb traffic is an
average spec) is going to cost around $100/month (excluding the costs for
support & management), you're not going to get many customers with that
spec
onto a box.

You may be fine, but don't expect to be able to use the whole allocation,
read the small print as it mentions CPU use restrictions and also puts
limits on the types and amount of files you can host.

If you want a cheap simple account that you'll never use the allocation,
then I guess you'll be fine, however if you want to use your allocated
resource, you may be prevented form doing so by the T&C's.

Unfortunately many hosts now seem to employ the same tactics, offer the
world but restrict use by T&C's. Personally I'd rather have the host
put the
actual figures you can use on display and buy on that basis.

Also, you may want to consider a UK host as the costs are starting to be
more comparable and the network response is so much faster. I get sub 20ms
pings from my UK boxes compared with 120-130ms from my US one.