Latest message you have seen: OT Terminal services

Re: Poor Sky reception yesterday / last night

Nigel,

I'm still suffering with this. Have you noticed what your signal
strength/quality is like recently and/or when you start to lose
picture? And what do the "strength" and "quality"
measures relate to?

I now think my problem is entirely tree related. With very still air I
can just get a stable picture (plenty of strength - >50%, but minimal
quality - ~5-10%) as soon as there is even a light breeze the movement
of the trees interupt the signal and the picture breaks up completely
:-(

Spending some more time looking at this over the weekend, leaving the
box off for a couple of days and changing the LNB to a spare has done
nothing to improve things.

I've now found a new spot to locate the dish which may give an
improvement. It's still close to the current position but means I'm
not pointing directly at the offending tree so I'm hoping that the
clearer sky will give me better reception.

I'm also going to get one of these LNBs. The twin is =A330-odd, the quad
is =A350-odd, but they're 0.3dB loss instead of the more usual 0.6dB.
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=3DSE0053406&N=3D=
0
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=3DSE0053606&N=3D=
0
click the catalogue page link to get more info.

There's a review on Satcure which seems quite positive:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/invacom.htm

I'll keep you posted with how it goes.

Tim.

On 6/10/06, Nigel Giddings <nigel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tim,
>
> I have been experiencing similar symptoms.
>
> I do have a problem with Trees, One of my dishes with a quad LNB is
80cm =
and I am located in London. I have a small gap between some trees which
att=
enuates the signal. The larger dish compensates for this but I still have
i=
ssues in Heavy Rain.

> However, like you I have experienced signal problems on Sunny days as
wel=
l, typically late afternoon onwards=85

> The second dish is a standard small sky dish (38cm?) on a chimney in a
di=
fferent part of the garden. It does suffer attenuation during the summer
wh=
en trees come into leaf but again this has been worse recently late
afterno=
on on Sunny days.

> Speaking to a friend who installs these he thinks the LNBs are
suffering =
from heat, I have a slate roof and the dish is in an exposed position=85
Th=
is would follow how the LNB would heat during the day, I bet it gets
pretty=
hot=85

> The problem shows up as break ups on an ordinary sky box connected to
TiV=
o. The 80cm dish is connected to Sky+ which becomes unusable causing
pictur=
e freezing and reboots !