Re: New X10 modules from Hong Kong - PLC with X10?

  • Subject: Re: New X10 modules from Hong Kong - PLC with X10?
  • From: "garygfx" <garygfx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 07:30:02 -0000

Marcus, that's good advice. I will switch off the mains ring via the
consumer unit to see if X10 signals can be picked up better on the
lighting ring. Fortunately my "node 0" is on a separate RCD so
I'd
still be able to inject X10 commands into the powerline.

The email I received from Kevin Lo (the HG X10/PLC supplier)
suggests his PLC units can receive both X10 and PLC, but I'm only
guessing as his English is sometimes hard to understand. I don't
have a PLC transmitter so I can't test it.

Gary

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Marcus Warrington <marcusw@...> wrote:

> Thanks for the link, but now I'm even more confused..
>
> Is the PLC-BUS different from the X10(2) stuff.. Or is
> that just a different name for the same thing ? The comparison
> table is certainly against the "old" X10 spec.
>
> Anyway, good to hear your making progress :)
> I had an LW10 for a short time (before moving to LD11's) and found
> it very susceptible to interference/noise. In one room it would
turn
> on a light but never off. Have you tried switching off all the
sockets
> in the house (via the consumer unit trip switch) and testing
again ?
> This may help isolate if some piece of equipment is causing the
problem.

> Marcus

Behalf
> Of garygfx
> Sent: 07 July 2006 00:40
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: [ukha_d] Re: New X10 modules from Hong Kong - PLC with
X10?

> Marcus, the X10 (2nd gen) modules I have from Hong Kong are 240v,
> full UK spec and CE approved. They are supposed to have a built-in
> filter and are more sensitive to X10 commands in the powerline.
>
> Difference between PLC and X10: http://x10-
> hk.com/store/article_info.php?articles_id=4
>
> Even though my modules have PLC part numbers I'm not sure if they
> really are PLC compatible as at least the wall switch is now
> responding to X10 commands which a PLC modules wouldn't normally
do.

> I think my house's electrics are at fault here. I removed
> the "faulty" PLC-2222 wall switch from downstairs and
swapped it
> around with a working LW10 wall switch from upstairs. The LW10
> failed to work downstairs (no response to X10) and the PLC-2222
> actually responded to X10 when it was installed upstairs.
>
> My house isn't that big (about 10m x 10m) so it's not like the
> signals have far to go. I'm wondering if a repeater module will
> help - http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info.php?
> cPath=21_29&products_id=75 - but if the signals are having trouble
> going into the downstairs lighting ring I'm not sure would good
that
> would do?
>
> I must say that the dimming of the new X10 wall switch is
excellent,
> much smoother than the LW10 and of course looks 10x better!
>
> Gary
>
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Marcus Warrington <marcusw@> wrote:
> >
> > Gary,
> >
> > If you have been sent the PLC units instead of the X10 are they
> 240v or
> > 110v ?
> >
> > If they're 240v then this means we have an alternative to X10
> available
> > in the UK. :)
> >
> > If this is the case then, what are the benefits of using PLC over
> X10..
> > hopefully the
> > answer will be speed and status response :)
> >

> > 	Marcus

generation" X10