Re: New X10 modules from Hong Kong - PLC with X10?

  • Subject: Re: New X10 modules from Hong Kong - PLC with X10?
  • From: "garygfx" <garygfx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 23:39:44 -0000

Marcus, the X10 (2nd gen) modules I have from Hong Kong are 240v,
full UK spec and CE approved. They are supposed to have a built-in
filter and are more sensitive to X10 commands in the powerline.

Difference between PLC and X10: http://x10-
hk.com/store/article_info.php?articles_id=4

Even though my modules have PLC part numbers I'm not sure if they
really are PLC compatible as at least the wall switch is now
responding to X10 commands which a PLC modules wouldn't normally do.

I think my house's electrics are at fault here. I removed
the "faulty" PLC-2222 wall switch from downstairs and swapped it
around with a working LW10 wall switch from upstairs. The LW10
failed to work downstairs (no response to X10) and the PLC-2222
actually responded to X10 when it was installed upstairs.

My house isn't that big (about 10m x 10m) so it's not like the
signals have far to go. I'm wondering if a repeater module will
help - http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info.php?
cPath=21_29&products_id=75 - but if the signals are having trouble
going into the downstairs lighting ring I'm not sure would good that
would do?

I must say that the dimming of the new X10 wall switch is excellent,
much smoother than the LW10 and of course looks 10x better!

Gary

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Marcus Warrington <marcusw@...> wrote:

> Gary,
>
> If you have been sent the PLC units instead of the X10 are they
240v or
> 110v ?
>
> If they're 240v then this means we have an alternative to X10
available
> in the UK. :)
>
> If this is the case then, what are the benefits of using PLC over
X10..
> hopefully the
> answer will be speed and status response :)
>

> 	Marcus

On
> Behalf Of garygfx
> 	Sent: 06 July 2006 15:08
> 	To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> 	Subject: [ukha_d] Re: New X10 modules from Hong Kong - PLC
with
> X10?
>

> 	Jon, do your new X10 modules have a model number starting
with
> X10-
> 	xxxx or PLC-xxxx? Kevin tells me that the ones starting with
> PLC-
> 	xxxx will work with X10 signals. I don't wish to disagree as
> he's
> 	the expert and has been very helpful.
>
> 	I know the wall switch and micromodule are going into setup
mode

> 	because the lights or LED will change to indicate it's ready
for

> 	programming.
>
> 	I will replace the new wall switch with an old but working
LW10
> 	see if it picks up the X10 commands. That should resolve the
> query.
>
> 	Thanks all,
> 	Gary.
>
> 	--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%
40yahoogroups.com>
> , Jon Payne <jgpayne@> wrote:
> 	>
> 	> That was my understanding too, there are two versions:
> 	> * PLC - faster, status response etc, but incompatible with
X10
> 	> * X10 - as it says
> 	>
> 	> So yes, looks like you've been sent the wrong modules. I
got a

> 	couple of X10 modules from him - working great.
> 	>
> 	> jon
> 	>
40yahoogroups.com>
> 	> Sent: Thursday, July 6, 2006 1:50:09 AM
> 	> Subject: [ukha_d] New X10 modules from Hong Kong - PLC with
> X10?
> 	>
> 	>
> 	> Hi. I've received a nice mix of the "2nd generation"
X10
http://x10-
> 	> hk.com/store/index.php?cPath=21 (Under manual control they
> work
> 	> well, the wall switches look great and I love the subtle
blue
> glow)
> 	>
> 	> Unfortunately they don't respond to X10 commands. The
reseller
> has
> 	> been very good and is trying to diagnose the problem, but I
> need
> 	> know what the technical difference is between X10 and PLC?
> 	>
> 	> My understanding is that X10 and PLC both use the powerline
> but
> 	the
> 	> commands aren't directly compatible. I read that a special
> module
> 	is
> 	> required to be installed on the powerline to convert X10 to
> PLC
> 	and
> 	> PLC to X10 to enable each type of unit to respond to the
other

> 	> protocol. Can anyone confirm that?
> 	>
> 	> The modules I received all have a model number starting
with
> "PLC-
> 	> xxxx" written on them. If PLC modules can't accept X10
> commands
> 	then
> 	> that would explain the problem but I'd like someone to
confirm