RE: Baluns (WAS: RE: touchscreen device recommendations please...)

  • Subject: RE: Baluns (WAS: RE: touchscreen device recommendations please...)
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 17:15:17 +0100

Chris Purves <mailto:CHRIS_PURVES@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
> You can get them everywhere :)
>=20
> http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/category/18
>=20
> have some but not the cheapest source. My cat5 video baluns were =A34
> each.=20

I've seen them on Ebay for that price, but none of them say they do audio.
=
Is that because they don't?  How do you tell from the specs what they will=
do?

> Some cheap some expensive.
>=20
> You can put pretty much anything over cat5.
>=20
> Passive baluns are the cheapest, active cost more. The Kat5
> system is a nice active system with extra bells and whistles.

I'd been leaning towards KAT5, just because I can get RGB units, 5.1
audio,=
and also do IR distribution.

> On the speaker cable front - do it if you can - you will not
> be dissapointed. Cable is cheap and you don't have to you it
> in the end.
> Sonos proves that but in general wired is easier than
> wireless although that sonos controller is very cute :)

I'll steer clear of Sonos, as it only does audio, and I'm after video
distr=
ibution too.  I've got a few key bits (matrix switcher, lots of CAT5,
sourc=
es, and TVs), just got to work out how to stitch it all together!

Cheers,
Andy