RE: Home or managed hosting ?

  • Subject: RE: Home or managed hosting ?
  • From: "Alex Monaghan" <ha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 21:03:24 +0100

I may be biased as I offer web hosting, but I'd say go for a hosted
solution. Home network hosting is fine for small things but for your main
site and email, I'd go with a "proper" solution. A dynamic IP
will cause you
problems if the router doesn't catch the new IP and update the dyndns (mine
occasionally fails). If you use the server for outbound email, then you may
find that some ISP's will reject your mail as it comes form a known
residential IP.

Additionally there may be small print in your broadband contract preventing
you from running a web server.

Most hosting companies will offer a generic system with MySQL databases and
have PHP so you can run things like blogs, content management systems,
forums and so on.