Re: Extending telephone line over mains!?

On 03/07/06, noel_pilot <HA@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey all,
> Horrible question here, a friend is only on dialup and we need to get
> a phone line to her office, no way of feasibly running a cable,
> im sure i remember some products way back when that you plugged a box
> into a mains socket one by the phone csocket one by the pc and it
> extnded it over the mains.
> Can't for the life of me remember what they called and having a blonde
> moment with what to search google for!!
>
> any ideas?!?!
>
> thanks
>
> Noel

I used to extend do something similar using a BT Diverse DECT cordless
socket, it was fine for fax machines and for what i needed it for
which was a sky box to be able to dial in, though due to DECTs
inherrently low bit rate you wouldn't achieve fast transfer speeds.

If I had to do it again i would use something like the one for all
mains telephone extension:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page22.htm#sv1500
The guys at satcure are pretty trustworthy and they reckon you will
get about 42kbps on a 56k modem which isn't bad.

Of course use of dialup these days is a crime!

HTH

Erik

--
Erik Carlson (erik@xxxxxxx) http://www.erik.co.uk