RE: [OT] Dual Boot O/S & Vista Beta

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Dual Boot O/S & Vista Beta
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 10:33:48 +0100

It does beg the question though ... Why bother installing Vista Beta?

Vista Beta is slow, clunky, bug riddled (I found several very basic and
repeatable bugs that really shouldn't have still been there within an
evening) and hugely punishing on hardware (2.53GHz P4 with 1Gb RAM wasn't
up
to the job of running even the OS at a speed that was acceptable).

It wants a graphics card with 128Mb RAM just as a *MINIMUM* to run that new
front end, much of the software that I use day-to-day doesn't run on it yet
and driver support for it is poor still too (no drivers for 3Com 905
network
cards for example which are a very widely used and very reliable card).

Unless you need to be running Vista for "work purposes" then I
would
question whether it is even worthwhile bothering at this stage - yes, I
know
it would be nice to have a play but much better to wait until a release
candidate comes out rather than a Beta.

Phil