From: "Gareth Cook" <g@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 12:18 PM
Subject: Fw: [ukha_d] Rack / Enclosure / Node Zero temperatures &
cooling
solutions

I picked up a standard wheely A/C from B&Q in the sales last year for
£75
- it has chunky buttons to select it/turn it on (no digital display). This
is wired in as a relay into CBUS.

Also, got a £6 temp sensor that connects into one of the Comfort
Inputs
just like a PIR - and you have a dial to set the temp. Once it reaches
that temp., Comfort sees it as a change in value, and tells CBUS to turn
the A/C on.

So pretty cheap, does the job !

G.

Gareth Cook
IT Architect / Project Manager, SWG Sales
IBM SWG Sales - Lotus Park, Staines, TW18 3AG
Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
email: g@xxxxxxx

----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 30/06/2006 12:13 -----

Discussion
Main Topic

ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Yesterday 18:25

.
Subject:
.
[ukha_d] Rack / Enclosure / Node Zero temperatures & cooling solutions
.
Category:

Just thought I'd see what sort of temperatures people are experiencing in
their racks / enclosures / node zeros and what, if any, cooling systems
are
in place.

I've just recently finished building a rack in my garage to move all my
kit
from into (my office is soon being re-claimed as a bedroom).

The rack is about 900 * 800 * 2100 with 4 shelves (mdf with holes
cross-drilled for improved airflow.  150mm extractor fan sucking in cool
air
from the concrete garage floor at the bottom and 150mm extractor fan
sucking
out hot air at the top (ducted outside of garage through roof).  Fans are
controlled by a simple central heating style room thermostat wired in
reverse so that the fans come on when the temperature hits 28 deg C.

So far I'm getting:

20.35 deg C on garage floor
26.38 deg C at bottom of rack
34.19 deg C at top of rack

Temperature outside is currently 30 deg C and the extractor fans have been

on constantly pretty much all day.

Previously with all the kit in my office the temperature was hitting 36
deg
C plus last summer - and that was with one of those cheapie B&Q aircon
units
on pretty much constantly too!

Currently the office is sitting at 29 deg C with no aircon and just my
main
PC with 2 * 21" monitors and UPS left in there.

So far I think the rack has been pretty successful as I'm saving bundles
by
not having the aircon on 24/7.  I figure that if the maximum temperature
that the rack reaches is less than the maximum that my office was getting
last year then that's got to be better?!?!

Martyn

Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Yahoo! Mail - quick,
easy and free. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/trueswitch2.html