Latest message you have seen: Re: Fw: Long HDMI cable or HMDI-over-Cat5 extender?

RE: Windows MCE

I have used analog VGA on my two MCE PC's - both my displays have this
connector. One is a 32" HD-ready LCD in the bedroom. This has a native
resolution of 1366x768, and I have managed to find a resolution that is
supported by the graphics card which almost perfectly matches that
(1360x768). This gives me a very clear & crisp display, and I'm
assuming that the scaler in the panel is smart enough to not try to stretch
the image over a measly 6 pixels, rather, just leaves black bars top &
bottom that are just 3 pixels wide each... (can't confirm this, although I
can say that on close inspecttion, I can't *see* any evidence of non 1:1
pixel mapping...)

My other is connected via analog VGA to a 42" Panasonic series 6
plasma panel. This is 852x480 native resolution. As yet, I haven't finished
working on this one, as it has only just recently been built, and I've not
achieved the 1:1 pixel mapping. I'll be working on this more this coming
weekend, and I hope to sort it out then. I've noticed another standard
resolution which again although not exact, is pretty close to the panel
resolution, (I think it's something like 840x480 or thereabouts...) - I'll
probably try that first & see how it goes.. Failing that, I'll see if I
can get the graphics drivers to let me set a custom resolution that is
close enough. - I did quickly try to set a custom resolution of 852x480 to
hopefully give me perfect 1:1 mapping, but the driver wouldn't accept this
setting, telling me it was an invalid resolution, not sure why that is yet,
and haven't had time to experiment much. I have got newer drivers
downloaded & ready to install though..

Both my MCE PC's use nVidia cards, the bedroom one is a GeForce 6600GT, and
the lounge one is a 6800 I think... I've got the latest forceware drivers
(81.98) on the bedroom one, but not yet installed on the lounge one which
is still running the drivers from the CD that came with it, which I think
are version 6x.xx. Hopefully the new drivers will provide some additional
resolution settings...

I would say that achieving 1:1 pixel mapping, or something sufficiently
close that the panel doesn't have to scale the image is probably the single
most important consideration in terms of getting a clear desktop on a large
display. Others will no doubt jump in with more informed comment here, but
I believe I have heard it suggested that this might, in fact, *not* be the
best option for viewing video?... - Keith D / Phil H / anyone else / have
anything to say on this subject? (other than ranting about how rubbish
S-Video outputs from PC's are!!!)

Analog VGA works fine for me, and is certainly better than any of the
S-Video options that I have seen....

Paul G.