Latest message you have seen: RE: {Disarmed} RE: Re: Philips Living Colors LED lights - automation?

RE: HA without fallback-CBUS

  • Subject: RE: HA without fallback-CBUS
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 09:19:41 -0000

Martin,

It is my understanding that C-Bus is used in many commercial
applications, including the new Wembley stadium...

I don't know of any instructions supplied by C-Bus or any other BMS
manufacturer which suggests that 'back-up' switches are required in case
of failure...

I am also not aware of any safety regulations for commercial buildings
which say that lighting must have mechanical switches, as opposed to
electronic ones, for safety reasons. Of course emergency lighting will
be part of the design but not linked into dimmer failure...

The MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) of a C-Bus dimmer, I hope, probably
exceeds a standard wall mounted dimmer. A total failure of C-Bus is
unlikely to occur unless you rely on a single Bus power supply which I
would suggest is bad design. C-Bus relies on a distributed design.

I will have a number of self contained emergency lights (5) to cover
mains failure or MCB trip but I don't intend to have over-ride
mechanical switches. Worst case, your dimmer fails, you identify the
problem you hard wire the light on till a replacement dimmer is
installed...

I am also using a Midon Temp05/Homeseer system to operate my central
Heating in my existing house(the automation was retro-fitted) and I did
install changeover switches to enable the existing mechanical switches
to act as a back up, in 3 years I've never used them. I will use a
similar system in the new house, still being built, but will have a much
simpler override as the new house has 11 heating zones. I will probably
revert to a single centrally located mechanical thermostat in case of
computer failure...

HTH

Nigel