Latest message you have seen: Popcorn hour?

Cat 5e Cable running tips needed!

  • Subject: Cat 5e Cable running tips needed!
  • From: "darren_karp2001" <darren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:24:15 -0000

Hi All,

I intend to install my home CCTV system over the next couple of days
and need some cabling running tips.

All 4 cameras will be mounted outside and I need to fathom a way of
getting Cat 5e cable from the cupboard under the stairs to each of the
two locations outside.

Normally this wouldn't be too much trouble as I have electricians rods
but the cable runs need to go from an airbrick outside the kitchen
back door to the cupboard and the kitchen floor is tiles on top of
concrete! The concrete isn't too thick and somehow rests on top of
joists (I can see these joists when I shine a torch from under the
loose floorboards in the cupboard). The issue is that something is
blocking the straight path and I am short by around 1.5 metres. I'm
not certain if its a sleeper wall or what as I'm unable to see far
enough.

The alternative is to take the cables from the cupboard, through the
downstairs loo and outside by drilling a hole through the toilet room
tiles next to the overflow pipe but I really don't like the sound of
this as the wife will probably go crazy, it will look messy, and I'll
probably end up ruining some tiles.

I have looked behind the skirting in the kitchen to see if the
previous owners had a 'route' into the kitchen for pipes and cables
but they are clearly going under the floor / routed into the concrete.

Does anyone have any tips on possible ways I can 'see' what is going
on under the kitchen floor or other ways I can run these 2 cables?

TIA
Darren