Latest message you have seen: R80 CFL's?

Fire protecting Node 0

  • Subject: Fire protecting Node 0
  • From: "David Chapman" <david@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:07:13 -0000

Node 0 in our type of houses is probably the biggest fire risk so I've put
smoke and heat alarm in there as part of my selfbuild which protects the
people in the house but not the propety if something happens when we are
out. Is anyone aware of a self contained fire killing system that could be
used ? I'm thinking of a small domestic version of the Halon type system
used in datacentres (obviously not Halon anymore - can't think of what the
replacement is called) but thinking of something that would bolt to the
ceiling of a room that is say 2 metres square and flood the area below with
a gas in the event of a fire.

I know there are domestic water sprinkler systems but obviously huge damage
if that went off and not best for electrical fires whereas a gas or
possibly
powder would give some opportunity to save the equipment !

The only thing I've found so far that might do the job is the equipment
often fitted to race and rally cars but maybe there is something out there
more suitable ?

David C