RE: [OT] Which LINUX distribution to use ???

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Which LINUX distribution to use ???
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:35:46 -0000

> But TBH I usually just do some searching in Synaptic (package
install/remove tool) to find good
> looking/sounding programs, give them a whirl, and junk them if they
don't
quite do it.
> Installing and removing stuff is a doddle compared to Windows!

Got to agree - Synaptic is one of those things which just
"clicks" - it's so
darn easy to use, and (almost) completely eliminates the whole rpm hell of
trying to get dependencies sorted out.

Ubuntu is getting dramatically better with each release, and is starting to
look like it has what it takes to pretty much become *the* linux distro of
choice for desktop use. They release a new version every six months and the
version number reflects the release date.

The "adjective - animal" name is an injoke that stuck.

Ian.