Re: OT : XDA Exec deal ? - Supplementary

Simon Ryley wrote:

> Can anyone who has an XDA exec tell me if it can be used during a
> flight? As its a phone as well, does it have to remain switched off or
> is there a "use the pda but not the phone mode"? It looks
ace, and a
> nice price too but it won't be much use if I cant use it when
travelling.

Yes, it has a "flight mode" where all the radios are turned off.

There's a pretty informative review here:
http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article499.html

FWIW, I successfully bought an XDA exec at 99.99 on a data tariff
(Data36) from an O2 shop yesterday.  I'm currently battling with O2 to
get the SIM enabled for voice calls (it's only doing SMS and data ATM) -
O2(arses)[1] claim that O2(elbows)[2] have to make the change, for some
complicated and contrived sounding reason.  O2(elbows) claim that the
price list[3] that says voice calls on data tariffs are 25p/min is from
O2 Online who are a totally different company[4], and that the only way
to get voice capability is to add a 16GBP/month voice tariff to the
contract.  Customer services have promised that I can have voice
capability on Data36, but that it has to be enabled by someone in a
shop, and have promised to send me something in writing to wave at them,
as they currently don't believe me.  We'll see what happens.

Oh, if anyone wants a copy of p33 from the O2 guide (blue thing with
"SALE" on the front) I can scan it...

Kim - pretty sure you wouldn't get this mess on Orange.

[1] Customer support.

[2] The shop.

[3]
http://flash.o2.co.uk/business/tariffs/pdfs/DataTariffsPriceList_Dec05.pdf

[4] In spite of there being no apparent way to order a phone on a
data-only tariff from the website.