RE: [OT] Freeview PVRs

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Freeview PVRs
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 12:58:19 -0000

> > 1) I couldn't get it *NOW* (i.e. a short run down the road,
> > hand over plastic and walk away with product).
>
> I ordered mine one afternoon, and it arrived the next morning.  That
was
> good enough for me.

I'm not that patient... ;-)

> > 2) I don't want to be fannying about "hacking" or
"modifying"
> > sh*t nowadays ... I don't have the time or the inclination to
> > try to get a bit of kit doing stuff that the manufacturers didn't
> > intend it to.
>
> The manufacturers did intend this sort of thing to happen with the
Toppy,
> which is why they released the SDK.

Yes, I understand the concept of TAPs and why they're there but I don't
have
the time (or the inclination) to spend time implementing extensions to bits
of kit that have to be in use here at home - if it was just me here then
maybe but with Jo and Edward being ready to leap into cries and sulks if
anything affects Corrie, Eastenders and whatever Ceebeebies crap is on then
I just want things that can remain as the manufacturer made them and work -
and if they don't work then they go back to be sorted under warranty. TiVo
was a great example of a bit of kit that just worked "right" from
the outset
without needing to be buggered about with ... if there was a TiVo with a
couple of freeview tuners in it I'd have bought one - no questions asked.

> As for time faffing, it took less
> time to get Toppy running than the age it took to the guided setup
with
> Tivo.  Of course, I can faff further should I want to.  The only thing
> that made me buy Toppy was that it's the only thing that does season
> passes on Freeview without losing quality (unless I've missed another
> product that does it).

Media Centre... ;-)

Phil