RE: Newbie with lots of basic questions!!

  • Subject: RE: Newbie with lots of basic questions!!
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 10:47:09 -0000

Sarah,

Welcome to UKHA...

You seem to have decided to go the MAC/iPOD route, was this after much
research or because tou like MACs/iPODs ?

A number of people have bought the Sonos, design looks are similar to
iPOD but it is wireless (no cables...)  www.sonos.com

I am not a MAC person so I am thinking of going the xlobby route, a bit
more geeky, but hopefully more flexible in the end...  www.xlobby.com

Both of these have 'Zones' and the ability to remotely control volume...

Watching TV around the house from centrally located sources can be done
using CAT5e cable. There are a number of devices available which provide
remote switching and one of the UKHA regulars, Keith, will be launching
his own switching unit soon (allegedly!!!). see
http://www.kat5.tv/index1.html

The CCTV can be treated / routed the same as the satellite TV to give
full flexibility...

I would suggest you get some more detailed advice before you go too much
further, at the build stage is where you need to incorporate this stuff.
Retro-fitting after the event will be difficult/expensive/a pain in the
a***.

Your electrician sound enthusiastic but you need an overall design to
work with.

HTH

Nigel
A fellow self-builder  http://photos.corbenic.co.uk