RE: Speech & HA

  • Subject: RE: Speech & HA
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:12:16 -0000

I truly believe that voice control *IS NOT* the future of HA control...

Voice control is a great party-piece to show your mates after coming back
from the pub but for day-to-day use (and I have experience of a system that
*DID* work reliably with good ceiling mounted mics and properly set up
limiters and gates etc.) and although the recognition was fine the act of
walking into a room and saying "Lounge Lights On" and then
waiting a second
for the lights to come on annoyed the cr*p out of me.

(Give me a PIR, a light level sensor and a bit of logic any day.)

Don't even get me started on "TV On, Watch Sky, Channel 42, Volume
Down,
Volume Down, Volume Down, Volume Down, Volume Down, Volume Down
(repeats)"...

(Just give me a well set up Pronto and I'm happy there.)

Phil