[OT] website DoS attack - help!

  • Subject: [OT] website DoS attack - help!
  • From: "kinchyuk" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:53:13 -0000

Hi,

One of the websites I look after appears to be suffering from a
denial of service attack. The website hosters (Servage) aren't being
much help to stop this, all they keep doing is suspending the
account for high bandwidth usage.

Here are the stats.. can someone take a glance and tell me that I'm
right in thinking somethings amiss?

Sun: 122 unique, 648534 imps, 18.31 GB xfer. Equiv 5315 imps/unique
Sat: 282 unique, 652586 imps, 18.28 GB xfer. Equiv 2314 imps/unique
Fri: 500 unique, 81884 imps, 2.23 GB xfer. Equiv 163.768 imps/unique
Thu: 555 unique, 75033 imps, 2.04 GB xfer. Equiv 135.194 imps/unique
Wed: 264 unique, 472 imps, 9.17 MB xfer. Equiv 1.787 imps/unique

There are two files on the website, a 2K HTML page and a 5K GIF logo
file. No PHP, no DB access, nothing funky.

I've just written a nice email to Servage telling them that I'll be
reporting it to The Metropolitan Police Service Computer Crime Unit
so maybe that'll persuade them to co-operate. Their two least
helpful (and only) suggestions so far is 1. It's image theft (one 5K
GIF logo? Plus image hot linking is off? Me thinks not!) and 2. Just
remove the domain and go find somewhere else to host it.

<Sound of head hitting desk very hard>

Help! :)

Alex