Re: Re: Cat5 and CT100

> 'wondered what people's thoughts were .... for wiring our HA my
gut-feel
> is to go only for the better Belden or Nexan cables & to avoid the
> cheaper stuff ... to avoid installation & commissioning problems
> make 'more future-proof ... ?
>
> Maybe I'm being paranoid !
>
> 'solid or stranded, though, I wonder ?
>

> Chris

Don't use stranded for the runs from wall plates to Node-0. The
terminations that are available are all designed for solid and will
not work properly with stranded.

The major difference I have noticed between cheap and
"brand-name"
CAT-5 is the smoothness of the sheathing, this makes a difference for
pulling the cables. But if you are a new build with decent access,
this may not matter.

It's all got to perform to "Cat-5" to be labelled as such.
Actually -
you should be making sure it is Cat-5e.

In the grand scheme of things (HA is a money pit) the additional cost
for a "brand" cable (shop around and demand a bulk rate) will not
make
that much of an impact to your budget. As you will discover, reading
this maillist has unfortunate consequences for your wallet. It's all
the "bargains" that you never knew you needed :-)

--- Gumby