Latest message you have seen: RE: distribution and remote control of multiple sky boxes

Re: Compressing DVD ISO Images

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Phil Harris" <phil@...> wrote:

> For media servers do you *REALLY* need RAID though?

Points about hardware raid cards agreed with...I intend to use Linux
md software RAID myself.

When I've been personally chatting about RAID I've been thinking more
of RAID-1 rather than RAID-5, probably with LVM layered on top of the
RAID-1 to give a large single filesystem.

A potential benefit of RAID-1 for a media server is that there's now 2
drives with the same data and so its possible (tho not sure how
probable) that files can be written/retrieved faster due to this.

> in the end decided that should a drive go
> down on my media server then I could live with having to re-rip
> those movies again - a 300Gb drive full of movies is about a
> weekends work to re-rip and of course you have the originals to
> do that with don't you?

It took me absolute ages to rip and encode 800+ CDs but, yes, its not
completely critical data.

> It seems that there is a lot of belief that as long as you have
> some form of "RAID 5" solution then you can sit back safe in
the
> knowledge that your data is secure and I know I'm going to get
> shot to sh*t on this for contradicting the crowd but I don't
> consider it quite that cut-and-dried.

Agreed. RAID (depending on the type) can give speed and/or limited
drive failure immunity protection..........but it ain't gonna save
your data if the whole server catches fire for example - that's what
off-site backups are for!