RE: Web Cam Security Software

"SupervisionCam" on windows is a good one - it's trial
version puts text on
the images, but other than that it's okay - does motion detection very well
and copes not too badly with dawn/dusk. I used it for a while and bought it
but my capture card was pretty unreliable (dodgy generic BT878 drivers!) so
I didn't bother re-installing it when I rebuilt node zero.

There's also Zoneminder if you have penguin leanings, but it's an absolute
*hound* of a thing to set up - it looks very capable, but I haven't been
able to get it going once despite attempts on a variety of
hardware/distros.
That being said, the author is a member on this list, so you might be able
to get some support with setting things up.

Ian.