RE: [OT] Business Card suppliers / designers?

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Business Card suppliers / designers?
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:12:36 -0000

Jonathan,

I'm in the same boat and am just looking at a few potential suppliers
just now. I've tended to contact local printers (which may or may not
have an online presence) as I want to be able to go in and talk to them
and feel the samples etc. Even in this information age, business cards
&
letterheads are some of the few things that do get 'felt' by real people
(versus a somewhat bland email) so going and seeing is important to me,
YMMV :-)

Are you after a creative service, i.e. someone to come up with a new
design for you, or just someone that will take your visuals and type-set
them properly for printing? (either way there's going to be a one-off
charge for graphics in addition to the printing costs)

I'm doing the latter, and for a logo I used good ol' MS Word to try out
samples of various fonts and some basic geometric logo designs. There's
also MS Publisher within Office that lets you "design" your own
stationery; business cards, letterheads etc. and while I haven't used
any of those designs directly, it was useful to experiment with it to
try some layouts etc.

>From what I've found so far there's a big difference in cost between
digitally printing the business cards and lithographic printing (litho =
2.5 times more expensive !!). This is where I will go in and talk to the
company and see the samples so I can assess the differences etc.

I also found this site in my research: http://tinyurl.com/aomt6
I'm not sure I agree with every point, but it was good to read some
other opinions :-)

HTH,

Tim.
(Surrey)