Re: [OT] 9 pin serial to USB mini type B

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:07:36 -0000, you wrote:

>I need a cable to go from a 9 pin serial plug to a mini USB (Type B)
>plug but can't find one anywhere.

You won't find such a thing because it isn't in general do-able.

The other way round - yes - USB converted to RS232, but not RS232
to USB.  This is because RS232 is merely a physical device - but USB
has a lot of protocol layers imposed.

> Is it possible to make my own simply
>by connecting pins 2 and 3 from the serial to pins 2 and 3 of the USB?

No - you could severely damage stuff this way.  Real RS232 has 12V
on the pins, although I suspect a GPS will be using 5V.

>(it's to connect the GPS receiver that's in my car to an SPV M5000)

As both these devices are probably expensive I wouldn't try!

I don't know the SPV, but you will need to check the manual to see
if the Mini-USB  can be an 'A' end.  If so then the standard USB to
serial converters may work.

Incidentaly - a quick search on the MPV fails to say whether the
Mini-USB is an A or a B!

Regards,
Harry.