RE: Replacing and automating the Central Heating switch (PIC fixed)

  • Subject: RE: Replacing and automating the Central Heating switch (PIC fixed)
  • From: "Craig" <craigc.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 09:48:32 -0000

> I agree with you regarding computer control, and prefer to
> keep my HA in dedicated controllers. However I was very
> interested in Simon's post recently about the heatmiser
> thermostats. These have 4 temperature/time zones for mon-fri
> and 4 for the weekend. They can also be remotely controlled
> via an rs485 link. My plan is to use the stat as a stand
> alone boiler controller, then allow PC/comfort to vary the
> set point as required. If the HA goes down for any reason,
> then the stat will simply revert controlling the heating as
> per it's settings, and you loose any additional HA features
> until the system is up again.
>
> In theory it will work...

This is similar to what I will be doing. I have replace the standard
mechanical stat with a heatmiser, that gives 7 day temp control. The CH
timer is set to permanently 'ON', and heatmiser controls the CH temp.

I can already control the temp via Harmony IR remote and I plan to use
USBIRT or similar for HA control from PC to the heatmiser, using discrete
IR
codes for temp.

The big advantage for me is I don't need to physically 'hack' the CH system
with relays, etc to get an intelligent temp controlled HA solution.

For me just turing CH on/off would not be ideal, as I require temp control
from HA PC and remotes.