Asterisk Q.... re answering incoming PSTN line

  • Subject: Asterisk Q.... re answering incoming PSTN line
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:34:42 +0000

OK, so I've taken the plunge , got asterisk@home up and running on one
of those £99 Dell servers and all seems well - no problems encountered
in the install - and I have to sat Asterisk is one impressive piece of
software. Using a Sipura 3000 - another fiendishly impressive piece of
kit - this alone as a HA device has amazing potential ... haven't got it
dialling out yet but ....a stupid Q.   (need to find an Asterisk group I
guess as well)

An incoming call is answered by Asterisk and fed to the appropriate
extensions while simulating ringing back to the caller. What I wanted
(expected) to happen was that the call was not answered on the PSTN
incoming line unless an extension picked it up - does/can it not work
this way ??  I intended that voicemail would answer eventually but not
for say 30 seconds.