Re: was: Re: Idratek - Serious Contender? Now: Alternative to clipsal switches in C-Bus Install

Nigel Giddings wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> It's my understanding that the AUX units can also provide the scene
triggers, dim, etc... I agree I will be losing the indicators which is a
definite downside.

> The reason for using the C-Bus Aux units is that they are 'Clipsal'
units.

Yes - I guess it's just a cost issue as Aux inputs are still quite
expensive - if you're commoning a lot of switches that saves quite a bit
in required inputs.  I am not sure how 'real' the C-Bus coupler length
restriction is. It may be workable within one room to the 4 switches.
Probably a try it and see.
> I have used the VIOM before and I am very impressed, not tried the
NETIOM yet but it is high on my list of adaptable solutions, I have it in
mind for the gate at the end of the drive. By using a NETIOM (and a PC) the
lighting system would become a little too non standard.

The Netiom has less inbuilt 'smarts' than the Viom eg timers and input
to output interactions but of course has the Ethernet interface.which
allows you to do this remotely.
> I would be interested in using the solution you suggest 'on top of'
the C-Bus system to add additional intelligence. That is to say 'nice to
have' features rather than 'must have'. By that I mean light switches need
to be 99.99% reliable, adding a PC to the mix could reduce this figure
somewhat...

Absolutely :-)  - a lighting system must work 100% - and anything that
impacts that has to be an issue.  Hence why I've tried to stay embedded
for all but the very 'nice to have' features, usually ones that involve
rich data content (and hence a PC) or don't have any significant impact
if they were to fail due to a PC crash.   I was even asked to implement
a 'dim/restore the lights' in the kitchen for a couple of secs the other
day whenever one of a defined list of TV soaps was due to start....
(wouldn't mind if that failed !)  .

Now if the xAP C-Bus gateway had an input/output mapping function
inbuilt and embedded ....;-)

Kevin

> Regards
>
> Nigel

clipsal C-Bus switches they are only switches ...

> Actually they are quite a bit more in practice. Aside from simple
ONOFF

-