Re: Re: Server spec for Geovision/homeseer/mainlobby

Simply put: 2003 is a server OS, XP isn't.

As a concrete example, we have a number of automated processes at work.
Running on XP they slowly grind to a halt and stop working completely
within days (if we're lucky). Running on 2003, they last a lot longer ;-)

Both are licensed per machine, although the 2003 license is a little bit
more than the XP one I believe.

Joseph

nicecorrado wrote:
> Thanks Paul
>
> What are the advantages of windows 2003 server over XP ? Is it
> single licence or can it be used on a few machines?
>
> Any other advice would be great
> Thanks
> Dave
>

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gordon" <paul@...> wrote:
>
>>Dave,
>>
>>I've no doubt that you *could* do all that on 1 box if you wanted
>
> to,
>
>>and if you specced it well enough.
>>
>>As an indicator, I am currently running a *single* server that
>
> does:
>
>>Windows 2003 Server (AD Domain controller, & Global Catalog
server)
>>DNS server
>>Exchange 2003 server
>>Webserver for paulgordon.homeip.net
>>File server for me & SWMBO's workstations
>>Geovision version 7 with a GV650-4 (with 3 cameras attached)
>>Homeseer 2.0 & Comfort plugin
>>
>>This is running on a P4-3GHz with 3 GB RAM on a Gigabyte
>
> motherboard.
>
>>Steady-state CPU utilisation sits around the 55% mark, so not
>
> overly
>
>>stressed.
>>
>>From your list of requirements, you don't *need* to be running a
>>server-grade OS, although I still think it's a good idea for a
>
> server...
>
>>(biggest factor there will probably be drivers for the graphics
>
> card you
>
>>want to use).
>>If you stick to a single box, you will keep power consumption
>
> lower than
>
>>running 2 or 3 machines, plus there will be less hardware to go
>
> wrong...
>
>>I'm planning to rebuild that server in the new year onto a core duo
>>platform mainly to reduce power consumption. At that time I will
>
> put in
>
>>fewer, larger HDD's to the same end.
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>Paul G.