Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: New Build

Re: What Infrastruture? - newbie question

  • Subject: Re: What Infrastruture? - newbie question
  • From: "Jonathan Shaw" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:02:42 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "semi.jons" <semi.jon@...>
wrote:

> Hello!
> Like many of the newbie questioners on HA groups on the net I am
> about to renovate an old property and would like to take the
> opportunity to get the infrastructure right for home automation.  The
> received wisdom seems to be use 2CAT5e + 1CT100 to most rooms for
> audio visual stuff, but I am a bit confused on the lighting and alarm
> side.  What ever I put in now I want flexibility for the future.

<snip>

Replying to my own post but...

Comments on the benefits of star vs ring appreciated.

If i go down the ring-wired route and either power-line or RF control
then am I right in thinking I need to ensure that the light switches
has a neutral wire - i.e. a 3-core and earth cable from the ceiling
rose to the switch?

Thanks
Jon