Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: unRaid - Media storage server solution

Re: Motorola Homesight Wireless Easy Start Kit

  • Subject: Re: Motorola Homesight Wireless Easy Start Kit
  • From: "Steve Edwards" <edwards_sj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 16:32:35 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@...> wrote:

> Got one of these today from PC World - quite interesting, but
> ultimately not that useful I fear.

<snip>

> Ultimately, the problem is the software. It's hideous, a clunky
> affair that just doesn't do enough. There's no way to interface this
> to anything else, so it becomes yet another closed system that
> doesn't do enough on it's own, and refuses to talk to anything else!

<snip>

There is a project on sourceforge for a web interface, it looks like
it may be quite simple to interface with it, or at least access the
events.

http://homesightremote.sourceforge.net/

A post from his blog:

------------------------------------

The first thing I wanted to do after buying and installing my Motorola
Homesight system was to gain remote access to the captured images and
event logs. It would of course be possible to gain access to the
system remotely using something like Terminal Services or VNC, but I
wanted a solution that would allow me to access the information using
any web browser.

After a little poking about I discovered that the Homesight system
uses the Mckoi Database, an open source Java SQL database system
published under the terms of the GNU license (although Motorola do not
redistribute this license for some reason?). It is relatively easy to
find the database username and password by looking at the database
files in the data directory. The default on my system was:
user: Xanboo password: 115West30th

I decided to write a small Java app to query the structure of the
Homesight database. Here is what I found:

archives
--------
Archive Time
Archive Date
Archive Type
Archive Device Type
Archive Device Name
Archive File Type
Archive File Name
Archive Timestamp
Archive Note

profiles
-------
NotificationType
Address

txtprofiles
----------
NotificationType
Address

The interesting data was stored in the archives table. A simple select
on this table produces the following information (example)

13:04:28, 28 Mar 2006, 5, 6, Door-Window Sensor 2B, 1, , 2006-03-28
13:04:28.403, closed
13:04:26, 28 Mar 2006, 2, 12, Camera - Day 2D, 2,
c:/progra~1/motoro~1/./data/archive/image32923.jpg, 2006-03-28
13:04:26.684, Triggered by schedule 'Camera - Day 2D660 S34734'
13:04:24, 28 Mar 2006, 2, 12, Camera - Day 2D, 2,
c:/progra~1/motoro~1/./data/archive/image32922.jpg, 2006-03-28
13:04:24.793, Triggered by schedule 'Front Door Alert'

As you can see, included in the logs is also a link to any images or
videos captured by the system.

Once I gained access to this information, it was a straight-forward
task to write a web application allowing access from any browser.

Cheers

Steve