Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: unRaid - Media storage server solution

Re: Migrating W2K3 to W2K3 server?

Paul Gale wrote:
> Thanks Wayne - I'm running standard edition of W2K3 (SP2?) on the old
server - and W2K3 R2 standard on the new one - so this should just work OK?

Yeah, you may need to run your R2 CD in your existing system and do a
'adprep/forestprep' and 'adprep/domainprep' from the i386 directory -
runs from the cmd prompt - just to update the schema first. - two minuet
job :)

> Oh, one other thing - I'm running Exchange 2K3 Server which I'll
migrate over too - will this affect AD as I know they're tightly linked?

Exchange should be a doddle too! Just install exchange and add it into
your existing exchange org. This will give you two exchange servers.
Move your mailboxes from your first server to the new one with active
directory users and computers - select your mailbox accounts, exchange
tasks, move (the other server should come up) - let it copy. If your
using outlook on the clients then you don't even need to tweak the
settings - it will find out what server your mailboxes are on -
automagicly!

you will need to make replicas of your public folders so they get copied
across (if you have any) - and also the hidden system folders (there's
only 5 IIRC)
MS did a nice little script to handle the move - have a read here.
http://tinyurl.com/g6c55

You will need to move any exchange connectors across if you use them (if
its a single exchange server you may not have any)
be mindful of any anti virus/ fax / plugins you have within exchange as
they will need to be moved as well after the migration.

as some other things to watch out for.
DNS - add DNS to your new server and get it to host your internal DNS
zone. - point your new server to itself and test it (browse the web etc.)
Wins - if you use it. I'd tie it in with dhcp and run from your new server.
DHCP - again if you use it - duplicate your scope from the other server.
static reservations - duplicate those. - use netsh if there's a lot of
stuff.
FSMO roles - will need to be moved over to the new server when
everythings bedded in and tested ok. ( http://tinyurl.com/oudpf )
Oh - make sure the computer name for your new server is different from
your old one ( the only proviso )

when your new server is being like your new server without any problems
- uninstall exchange from your old server and run dcpromo (again on your
old server) and tell it you want to demote the server. - this just makes
it a member server which you can then remove from the domain (make it a
workgroup member on its own workgroup)

cant think of anything else!

As a last thing - dont think of this as being the next chapter of war
and piece - theres a few procedures you need to do - but its bog
standard method of moving DC's around (or growing domains if you leave
the old one running!) its what windows does :)
(although - as a thing - make sure you have a backup of anything
important :) (the disclaimer!))

I can usually have this sort of thing done in a day (plus any copying
time for data) - and thats with service packing everything in the
process - users - on the other hand tend to get in the way :) but you
shouldn't have that problem :) most of the time you will be sitting
watching things copy :-)

If you have any other questions - don't forget to write!

Wayne.