Re: Fw: [OT] How can I "Ping" a particular port

From: "Neil Fuller" <neil.fuller@xxxxxxx>
> Tried that and it doesn't work.
>
> The application is a proprietary BMS application with it's data
wrapped
> in TCP, if that makes sense!?
>
> The hardware I'm trying to connect to doesn't respond to telnet.

I'd be very surprised.  You'll get some form of response anyway.  From a
command line in Windows, type "telnet server.name PortNumber".
If it says
it can't connect, chances are the port is shut.  If it gives a blank
screen,
it's an open port, but it's waiting for you to communicate with it.  I
rarely find anything that doesn't work like that.  Hotel wireless broadband
places are one of the few exceptions I find.

Cheers,
Andy