Re: Monitoring CPU temps and poss fans?

  • Subject: Re: Monitoring CPU temps and poss fans?
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:33:43 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@...> wrote:

> *sigh*

.. yes and I'm afraid that comment reflects the whole history...

> > Does the memory leak still occur even with low volumes - but just
takes
> longer to be a problem?
>
> 260+ days uptime, no memory leak. Nobody has reported one on our
support
> forums either. It's a non issue.

Almost two years ago Tony (who originally wrote xPLHAL yes ?)
identified an issue where a problem occurs with the scriptable bridge
when there is a high volume of data on the network. AIUI this is
because each and every message xPL/xAP message received by xPLHAL is
then tested to see if it should run a script - additionally each
script is launched in its own thread which can mean that an ever
increasing number of threads are running which eventually causes the
problem. This was on the 'tofix' list but had a rather low
priority.... ;-) It was handled offlist to get a transparent fix.

> > Having spend a small fortune on new kit for a server and HA PC to
provide
> more resilience and performance, I'd hate to put 'leaky' software on
it ;)

> Well you wouldn't want to install xPLHal then.
>
> Good lord no.
>
> Because, of course, as well as being leaky (apparently) it also eats
babies,
> supports Communism, and will make all of your hair fall out.
>
> Seriously though - it's hobby software, end of story. Does a great
job for
> me, and from the lack of complaints, seems to do a great job for a
lot of
> other folks too. I haven't seen a memory leak, but hey...

I think very few people use it in a high volume scriptable bridge
role. But it was a reported issue and hopefully at some time it may be
fixed. Aside from the issue it is a poor implementation if either xAP
or xPL creates very large volumes of data that would trigger such an
issue. So , as I said in my next post,  it's not going to be an issue
in this application.

As Ian said I think it's important to understand that xAP and xPL
applications are not fully professional applications with a ton of
support, testing and programmers behind them . They are often written
by individuals / hobbyists trying to create solutions that work for
themselves and offering that free to others on an 'as is' basis. If
they work for you then great - you've got something for free. They
work for Ian and I and many others in our different territories, and
they improve all the time - but are they mission critical certified
?... no.

> I know from previous posts that you use a variety of xAP software, so
it
> probably makes more sense to stick with Floorplan for that reason
alone.

> Besides, it probably reduces tartar buildup or something, right
Kevin? :D

I'm just not going to get drawn to these levels again Ian , I thought
we'd got past all this....