Retro-fit Lighting

  • Subject: Retro-fit Lighting
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:35:45 +0100

Whilst at my mum's house yesterday, she mentioned that she doesn't
like her ceiling lights.  Instead, she prefers the table lamps.  Her
problem is that the light switch operates the ceiling lights.  At home, I
could switch the table lamp sockets using the momentary switch on the wall,
but my mum has standard wiring.  I immediately thought of X10 and other
wireless lighting systems.  Can anyone recommend a solution for using the
wall switch to switch the table lights on and off?  Could I use a
micromodule and a few applicance/lamp modules?  I'm not worried about
whether the ceiling lights still operate, as she doesn't use them.
Assuming there's a T&E from the ceiling rose to the light switch, I can
rewire the wall switch to have Live, Neutral, and Earth, so solutions
requiring a neutral are still possible.

Cheers,
Andy