xPL and Media Center

  • Subject: xPL and Media Center
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:24:57 -0000

I've just released xPLMCE, which is a freeware add-in for Windows XP
Media Center Edition, providing the following features:

1) Control media playback via xPL messages (so you could use an
intranet and webpad or PDA instead of the clunky MCE menus)

2) Media Center sends xPL messages reporting current status.  These
could be used to dim the lights when a movie starts, for example.

3) Use spare remote keys to send xPL messages.  The teletext buttons
are unused at the moment, so for example pressing yellow could be used
to lower a projector screen.

4) Displays Caller ID and OSD messages.

Full details here:
http://www.xplmonkey.com/mce.html

The only thing I couldn't test is whether it works on a Media Center
Extender. In theory it should (as long as it is installed
for "Everyone"), but I don't have an extender to test with. If
anyone
does, and wants to give xPL a go, please try it and let me know the
results!

Mal
www.xplmonkey.com