Remote control via SMS

  • Subject: Remote control via SMS
  • From: "Adam " <adam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:09:05 -0000

I have an acquaintance who wants a way of turning his boiler (and
maybe other equipment) on remotely via a mobile phone (ideally SMS,
rather than some kind of web interface over GPRS).  This would be used
in his holiday home, which is "in the middle of nowhere"
somewhere in
the highlands.  I haven't checked whether he can actually get a mobile
single there, but assume for the moment he can.

I do the same in my house via a combination of servers, X10 kit and
the like, but this chap is pretty non-technical and would like a
one-stop solution to allow him to do this.  The problem with my setup
is that although it's quite reliable it needs a server on 24/7, and
it's built using my own bespoke code.  I don't want to install a
system myself, and find that I'm spending the next few years
supporting it! =96 I just don't have the time or inclination.

Does anyone know of either a single piece of kit to allow this, or an
installer who could do it for him?  Although I'm sure money is a
consideration, I think he's aware that it might not be cheap.

Feel free to mail me off-board.

Thanks,
Adam.