Re: Bump keys

Well, this is one of the many sites that I found:-

http://www.hentech.cn/en/jieshao.asp?btype=15&stype=41

... but there are others selling the same units, so I doubt that these
are the real manufacturers, just exporters.  Try googling for
fingerprint locks.  The silver unit in the picture sells FOB ShunDe
(wherever that is) at a little over 100 USD, so there's shipping
insurance and duties still to pay on top.  If they get shipped in via a
company (like wot I got) maybe the duties would be less, I dunno.  The
same units sold in the UK retail for maybe 300 notes, and in the US for
about 300USD, I would think that it may well be possible to import them
from China in smallish quantities for maybe 75 quid all in.

I have no idea how good these are, this is just an example.  Many of
them have a key override in case you lose your finger/hand/arm, and/or a
keypad override. They will all cope with lots of different fingerprints,
so if you were planning to put your arm into an oily oscillating
wobblnocker, you could record several of your fingers so that you had a
choice from whatever you had left. They all seem to work by means of an
electronic clutch which only engages when it reads a valid finger -
otherwise, the external handle just rotates, though the inner handle is
permanently connected to the lock so a rapid exit in a fire is not a
problem. Most run off an internal battery with an alarm to tell you when
its running low, some have a PC interface of some kind as well as an
external power socket, but both of these features would be a pain to run
cables and look pretty naff, IMO. I also don't know much yet about
whether they will suit a standard UK lockset.

I'll do some more digging and see what else I can come up with.
Probably the only way to check 'em out is to order a sample and see how
it stands up to oily/cut fingers and the british weather.  Watch this
space, I'll be back

Martin