RE: New Node0 Design - 3D images

  • Subject: RE: New Node0 Design - 3D images
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:13:48 +0100

Thanks Nigel - good points :)

So you got your servers into the data racks OK? Do they hang out the back
a=
t all?

Re ventilation - will do some air change calcs (my father designs heating
a=
nd ventilation systems for big buildings - so I'll probably get him to
help=
)

Paul.

strug=
gle
> to get through the cabling at the rear to then get to the rear of
whateve=
> is installed... By having the extra cable space at the sides of the
racks
> you can manage power up one side with signals up the other and not
obscur=
> the back of the equipment, which will have enough cabling over it
> anyway... This may help if rear access is also limited.
>=20
> Wall mounting kit is good but does limit space between rack and wall
> mounted kit. I would seriously consider open tray-work and metal
trunking
> on the wall to carry power and signal cables. Design the wall so these
do
> not pass over each other. You want to be able to run cables that don't
> have to loop over and under things...
>=20
> I would look into the size of ventilation holes. I would suggest at
least
> 150mm will be required! As you say the effect of this when outside is
35C
> is limited but hopefully less heat generated with new equipment. Its
> probably more important to maintain constant temperature rather than
> sudden changes. Running at 30C is not the end of the world. It is
> uncomfortable to work in for extended periods and UPS batteries will
also
> suffer...
>=20
> I would go with simple lighting, fluorescent fitted to slopping
ceiling,
> especially if RGB is controlled from this room... Maybe use the RGB to
> dress it up? My Node Zero has a large fluorescent switched by a simple
> switch. I also have a battery maintained light in case of power
failure.
> My Generator panel is located here and the main fuse board.
>=20
> I have servers mounted in a data rack, an oversight initially on my
> part... However would have done the same all things considered. I
would
> suggest the server (deep) equipment should be in the lower cabinet so
tha=
> you don't need to squeeze past it to get to the other rack... Getting
> heavy units (UPS) out is an issue, you could need two people with
space t=
> stand either side (L/R) of rack.
>=20
> As far as fire protection I am still considering the installation of
> system that uses a pipe routed through the racks which leaks the
> extinguisher locally if a fault should occur... Not to many cases of
PCs
> going up in flames these days though.
>=20
> Nigel
>=20
eave=
> using an in-line fan (quiet sort), expelling further down eaves so as
> not suck in hotter air. Of course, hot days will be a problem but all
> CPU's will be newer Intel Core 2 Duo, so won't generate too much.
Still
> not sure about this - don't want to put expensive air con in there!
>=20
> Not sure about lighting - will be in keeping with the rest of the loft
> which will have a full lighting design done (maybe using my RGB LED
> controllers and nice sparkly lights!)
>=20
> Didn't think about server rack  pull-out! Was thinking about access
behin=
> (which I don't currently have). I'm limited though as the plan is to
have
> as big an office as possible and this sets the stair location and
hence
> Node0 size) - so I have to work with what I've got.
>=20
> Can you fit 4U server racks in data cabinets? Might give me more room.
>=20
> Fire detection will be additional sensors into existing Comfort -
anythin=
> else recommended in Node0?
>=20
> Thanks,