RE: New Node0 Design - 3D images

  • Subject: RE: New Node0 Design - 3D images
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 08:55:25 +0100

As you have cabling from below rack you may want to consider racks
with cab=
le management at the sides. The racks are wider but may not be that much
of=
an issue? My racks are standard width and it=92s a bit of a struggle to ge=
t through the cabling at the rear to then get to the rear of whatever is
in=
stalled... By having the extra cable space at the sides of the racks you
ca=
n manage power up one side with signals up the other and not obscure the
ba=
ck of the equipment, which will have enough cabling over it anyway... This
=
may help if rear access is also limited.

Wall mounting kit is good but does limit space between rack and wall
mounte=
d kit. I would seriously consider open tray-work and metal trunking on the
=
wall to carry power and signal cables. Design the wall so these do not
pass=
over each other. You want to be able to run cables that don't have to loop=
over and under things...

I would look into the size of ventilation holes. I would suggest at least
1=
50mm will be required! As you say the effect of this when outside is 35C
is=
limited but hopefully less heat generated with new equipment. Its probably=
more important to maintain constant temperature rather than sudden changes=
. Running at 30C is not the end of the world. It is uncomfortable to work
i=
n for extended periods and UPS batteries will also suffer...

I would go with simple lighting, fluorescent fitted to slopping ceiling,
es=
pecially if RGB is controlled from this room... Maybe use the RGB to dress
=
it up? My Node Zero has a large fluorescent switched by a simple switch. I
=
also have a battery maintained light in case of power failure. My
Generator=
panel is located here and the main fuse board.

I have servers mounted in a data rack, an oversight initially on my
part...=
However would have done the same all things considered. I would suggest th=
e server (deep) equipment should be in the lower cabinet so that you don't
=
need to squeeze past it to get to the other rack... Getting heavy units
(UP=
S) out is an issue, you could need two people with space to stand either
si=
de (L/R) of rack.

As far as fire protection I am still considering the installation of
system=
that uses a pipe routed through the racks which leaks the extinguisher loc=
ally if a fault should occur... Not to many cases of PCs going up in
flames=
these days though.

Nigel