Re: Confused - PCI express x4

Paul Gale wrote:

>I?m really confused now :-(
>
>The RAID card I?m looking at says it?s PCI Express x 4 and the picture
of it looks physically like a connector that fits in a PCI Express x1 slot.
The x4 slots I?ve seen on some other pictures of mainboards are much
bigger. Do the bigger slots support smaller connector cards? And as long as
the slot has x4 or greater, is this OK?

I believe a lot of motherboards have "x4 in x16". ie physically
it's a
x16 socket, but is only wired up for x4.

Presumably you can then put either a x16 or x4 card in the slot, but
it'll only ever run at x4 speeds...

Jim