x4 PCI express card in x16 slot?

  • Subject: x4 PCI express card in x16 slot?
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 08:27:16 +0100

I=92m still working out what kit to put in my new server =96 one of
the com=
ponents is a x4 PCI Express SATA RAID controller. There are actually two
ve=
rsions =96 a PCI-X or x4 PCI express card. As PCI-X are quite rare on
deskt=
op boards (affordable), I was thinking of using a standard desktop board
wi=
th and extra x16 PCI express slot and putting the card in this.

>From what I can make out, the smaller x4 PCI express card can be used
in th=
e larger x16 PCI express slot =96 is this true?

Thanks,

Paul.