Re: MSN Messenger

Michael wrote:
> Anyone here ever considered using MSN messenger for HA? Thinking
> about ways to communicate when at work etc as opposed to out and
> about.....

Not MSN, but I'm using IRC as a general purpose user interface[0] for
some of my homebrew automation stuff.  It's ideal as you can connect to
the channel simultaneously from as many places as you like[1], have
scrollback of recent activity, and so on.  Many IM clients (trillian,
gaim, and so on) support IRC in an IM-like interface - I use this for
popping up an attention-getting message window on doorbell rings, caller
ID and so on).

There are a squillion IRC bot APIs out there to base an interface on
(I'm using http://www.jibble.org/pircbot.php),
and if you run your own
IRC server you aren't reliant on any external service.

Kim.

[0] Okay, it's text-based and therefore not ideal for everything, but it
works fine for things like setting the heating controls or caller ID.

[1] We've got some sort of computer (everything from proper PCs to an
Wyse serial terminal and a 486 laptop) running an IRC client in each
room.  This was originally intended  as a deaf-friendly intercom - for
those "put the kettle on while you're down there!" moments, so
having an
automation bot or two sitting in the channel makes sense.