Re: Boot from RAID5 or separate HDD?

  • Subject: Re: Boot from RAID5 or separate HDD?
  • From: "Geoff H" <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:55:02 +0100

I have always thought it best to have the OS on a separate disk
which is not part of RAID and boot from this. That way, the driver
for the RAID is loaded at bootup and you don't need to have it on
a floppy disk or boot CD.

If the RAID controller is an add-on card, and not part of the
motherboard system, then you can take the disks and controller
card to another system and recover the data. Another piece of
advice I was given a while back was to purchase two RAID cards
of the same make. Keep one in storage as an insurance policy.
This way, if the controller dies, you have a spare one to be able
to recover the array and retrieve the data.=20

Geoff

On 1 Aug 2006 at 11:29, Paul Gale wrote:

> Can anyone enlighten me with the current thinking behind where to boot
fr=
om on a RAID5 system - array or separate HDD? I=B4d really like everything
=
stored on the array to benefit from the RAID features but are there any
dow=
n sides to this?
>=20
> The array will hold all my home/office data, MP3 collection, HA data
etc =
and will have a hot spare (5 x 500Gb SATA-II HDD=B4s)