RE: Boot from RAID5 or separate HDD?

  • Subject: RE: Boot from RAID5 or separate HDD?
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 12:10:19 +0100

I'd suggest a smaller mirror pair for the OS, and a big Raid 5 stripe
for
the data.

I use 2 old 80Gb IDE drives mirrored on the onboard controller for my media
server, and all the rest of the disks RAID-5'd on the actual raid
controller. (no apps or anything get installed on the RAID5, only data)

It's a good idea to separate the OS and apps from the Data- it means the
data can be trivially moved to another server/NAS at a later date without
breaking anything.

If you use DFS it becomes even slicker still.

Ian.