Re: C-Bus / Cat5e

Hi Chris

It depends what you mean by "station". I think you need to plan
your
modules as well, based on the functions you are trying to achieve,
particularly when you are thinking of connecting something (what kind
of outlet do you need, what space for mounting brackets etc, what
power, if any). I think a generalised "2/3 conduit everywhere"
won't
work - for a start, most single gang wall boxes accept 2 incoming
conduit at a maximum - and is likely to be overspecified and
expensive. Secondly, you can't run normal cat-5 and mains into the
same wall box without creating issues with the regs.

With respect to mixing Idranet and Mains, on a new build you've got
better options than a retrofit. You can wire each light switch
position with pink C-Bus only, and run mains from load to CU only, no
mains at light switch at all. Idratek have DIN rail relays, but not,
as yet, DIN rail dimmers. If you really want dimming now, you'll have
to mix at an SLD. Or you can use X10 modules, either DIN rail, or
plug-in.

Where you want power switching, again you could use X-10 plug-ins, or
you _have_ to work it through carefully with your sparky to meet the
regs. It gets a bit murky here, to be honest, since many sparkys work
to common practice known to meet the regs, rather than the regs
themselves. Idratek modules are outside their experience and cause a
bit of head scratching.

You have the option of centralised switching using the DIN rail module
front-ended with 16A MCB and putting individual spurs to each
switchable power outlet, or distributed switching using the SRH or
DRH. As I recall, the DRH is not fused, and therefore requires a 16A
fuse inline. Although that seems a little unfair, since I understand
that normal double sockets will melt on a 32A fault current ! The SRH
is fused, but you still have to be careful on whether it is spurred or
on the ring.

Cheers, Dave