RE: C-Bus / Cat5e

  • Subject: RE: C-Bus / Cat5e
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 12:49:40 +0100

> So, 70GBP is not really all that silly a price for C-Bus, and
> it'll be
> worth paying off the bottom for Cat-5e, too.   I guess EIB
> (mains-rated
> cable) could be a good alternative to C-Bus, so I'll look
> into that as well (some competition might be a good thing !).

Remember that EIB cable and C-Bus cable are different ... EIB is a screened
twin twisted pair and C-Bus cable is a quad twisted pair. C-Bus cable
terminates easily in RJ45 connectors which plug in easily into the C-Bus
DIN
Rail mounted modules - EIB cable doesn't.

> I was going to run two / three conduits to each position, one
> for mains power, one / two for Cat-5e, in which case there
> would seem to be the option of running the C-Bus away from
> the mains' - in which case it would come close to the mains'
> only where it actually is wired into Idratek modules, which
> might mean that with suitable attention to detail in the
> routing, using Cat-5e rather than C-bus / EIB for Idratek
> might be an option ... not sure !

Assuming that you are doing major works on your property then there will be
an inspection involved at some point (possibly just your sparks signing it
off if he's P registered) so why not find out who will be signing it off
and
ask them what they'd be happy with - job jobbed and no nasty suprises at
the
end when you come to get it signed off.

Phil