RE: C-Bus / Cat5e

Just to echo a point a couple of others have mentioned Chris, - your
refere=
nce to 6 runs per point, - you definitely do NOT need to do this for CBUS
W=
iring, - you only need a single cable run to any place where you want to
pu=
t CBUS modules, - once the run is there, it can serve as many CBUS modules
=
as you want to put on the end of it... (subject to normal CBUS network
desi=
gn rules of course)

6 runs per point would only be for other uses where cables can't
normally/e=
asily be shared, such as "normal" Ethernet, or for carrying audio
/ video /=
CCTV / Low voltage power / Alarm sensors etc... - for any/all of these pur=
poses do NOT waste money using the pink CBUS cables, - unless you
specifica=
lly want to have the ability to run the cables into mains enclosures -
whic=
h isn't that common a requirement I'd have thought...

So it's not really so expensive to wire CBUS after all. I have bought a
sin=
gle 305m box of the stuff, and I'm nowhere near half way through it yet..
- Although I have to add that I have used "normal" CAT5 cable for
some runs=
to some lightswitches, - only because I cabled those several years ago whe=
n I didn't even know about the differences, & I hadn't actually decided
on =
CBUS as my lighting system, I just assumed in the normal UKHA way, that I
"=
should" run CAT5 to those positions. When I come to use those runs
(I'm sti=
ll transitioning from X10 to CBUS) If possible, I'll pull the cable
through=
and replace it with pink, and where that isn't possible I plan to decommis=
sion the mains cable going to that backbox. I'm also thinking that I might
=
be able to add some additional sheathing to the exposed part of the CAT5
ca=
ble in the backbox as well. Obviously if I were to be doing the wiring
toda=
y, being older & wiser, I would unhesitatingly choose the correct pink
CBUS=
cable every time. - You may read into that what you will...

One other point that hasn't been mentioned yet, is that the
differentiation=
also makes it a LOT easier to tell cables apart when you are trying to wor=
k your way through a big bundle of 30-40 odd unlabeled CAT5 cables back at
=
Node 0... - I know this from bitter first hand experience!

Paul G.

(which is getting on
> > for =A330
> > inc VAT), not the "Pink C-Bus" equivalent...
> >
> > Phil

sells
> > > C-Bus cable at
Cat-5e