RE: DVI

  • Subject: RE: DVI
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:04:31 +0100

This can be answered with a quick Google but - as I assume you couldn't
find
anything there as it is a bit confusing - this is a quick summary:

A DVI connector has both analogue and digital connections (it actually has
*TWO* sets of digital connections for single and dual link but that adds a
layer of complexity that isn't needed to the explanation here).

A DVI connection (say on a graphics card) will usually have both the
analogue outputs (so it can drive a VGA monitor via a DVI to VGA adapter)
and at least the first set of digital outputs. This is called DVI-I
(Integrated)

A connector which *ONLY* has the digital connections is called DVI-D
(Digital).

A connector which only has the analogue connections is called DVI-A
(Analogue).

As I said before, there are *TWO* possible sets of digital outputs on a
DVI-D connector, *NOT* to drive two monitors from one DVI connector but
because a DVI digital stream has a finite bandwidth it isn't able to drive
enough data down one datastream for very high resolutions and this is where
the second channel comes in - it allows you to drive higher resolutions. If
you look at the details on the Apple cinema displays you'll see that the
largest display does actually say that it *NEEDS* to be driven from a
graphics card that supports dual channel output and specifies their
"nutter"
card as being the only one that is capable of driving the 30" display
at
full resolution.

Phil